[TowerTalk] Soldering Iron, Connectors, Cable

Bryan Swadener bswadener at yahoo.com
Tue May 10 16:18:16 EDT 2016

Folks,
Once again, there's a lot of talk about connectors and feedlines.
Here's my $0.02 worth...

For soldering UHF male connectors, my Weller 8200 140/100W
solder gun has worked fine for 45 years. My soldered UHF male
connectors appear textbook perfect. What I've not seen described
or demonstrated is a good technique. I've seen a lot of bad
technique described/displayed. Crimped connectors are fine
(if done properly). And like anything, it can be botched.

The idea that only Amphenol produces good quality connectors is
not correct. There are others. DX Engineering supplies top-shelf
connectors and adapters at reasonable cost. Others have touted
The RF Connection as a source of good quality connectors at
reasonable cost. They seem to have a wide selection.

The best 0.400" diameter feedline I've found us DX Engineering's
DXE400MAX. The electrical parameters are as good as you'll find.
The polyethylene jacket has the best UV resistance and is good for
20 years outdoors. The elastomer jacket used in the Times Microwave
LMR-xxx-UF cables is good for only 10 years. The elastomer jackets
are also porous. If buried a PE jacket is the best choice. Then, you're
looking at LMR-400-DB, DXE400MAX, or BuryFlex400. The winner
is still the DXE cable, based on cost. The per foot price is right there
with BuryFlex400 but, shipping is included on orders over $99.
When I was getting ready to install my tower, I realized I needed the
better part of a 500' spool, and ordered the DXE cable. Using a
larger diameter rotator loop (2 turns), flexibility is a non-issue.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it... for now.
vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC