[TowerTalk] Force 12 20M Monobander

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu May 12 14:27:37 EDT 2016

On Thu,5/12/2016 9:53 AM, Russ Dearmore via TowerTalk wrote:
> Rick,  Thanks for your comments.  I found the F/B to be much higher than you did so maybe we're talking about different antennas.

Or perhaps the antenna with lower observed F/B lacks an effective common
mode choke to prevent its nulls from being filled in by pickup on the
feedline. That's one of the primary reasons for using a choke.

>   The OP-Des design of the Force 12 is probably the reason for better gain and flatter SWR.
snip

>   In regards to the SteppIR I'm not comfortable with the extra maintenance they are well known for.

That depends a lot on the model and the vintage.  The older "straight"
models are a quite mature design, with the design faults well worked
through. My 3-el has been up for about six years, with zero problems I
can blame on the antenna, and it gets a LOT of exercise during contests
and chasing DX.

>   Needlessly expensive in the long run.

I find the cost quite reasonable considering that it's an "optimized"
Yagi on six bands. It's entirely possible that G0KSC's more advanced
designs are better -- his design techniques made a lot of sense, as
articulated in his NCJ interview with N0AX.

>      I also share your skepticism about antenna manufacturer's claims and think it's time for a monobander comparison test like Ward did with the Tri-banders some time back.

I am far less skeptical of some mfrs than others. I do trust the data
from Force 12 and InnovAntenna, because they make sense.

BTW -- there were two guys who led the  massive project we associate
with N0AX -- K7LXC was an equally important part of that team, and their
antennas and provided advice. W4RNL, W8JI, W7EL, W6NL, and N6AA were on
the second list.

73, Jim K9YC