[TowerTalk] PL259 Cobbectors Part 2 - Murray W9EHQ

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sat May 14 03:08:04 EDT 2016

Yes and it does!

Liquid electrical tape is about the only thing that works and stays.  I
will be using it where the matching coax ts soldered in on the C3i
antennas.  I was really surprised to find the solder joints gone on the
144 and 440 antennas.

Epoxy works, but it deteriorates over a few years where the outer layer
of the liquid tape only dulls a bit, which I believe is due to dust
settling or "stuff" in the rain.  At-any-rate the liquid tape remains
viable as long as I've had it up so far. (Not quite 12 years)
(bottom photo on link) http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/tower.htm
Click on photos for a larger view.

Unfortunately I have no current photos as that is now near the top of
the tower that I can no longer climb.  I might give the 500mm telephoto
lens a try.

I'm going to add a common mode choke of 8 turns of RG-400 on 7 cores as
it is an end fed quarter wave fed against the tower. I've been thinking
about a number of coils in a box switched in at the feed point to add
length, so I can switch the resonant point down.  I believe that will be
more efficient than just a tuner in the den, or shop.

73 es thanks.

Roger  (K8RI)