[TowerTalk] Crimp Connector Tools?

Eric Rosenberg ericrosenberg.dc at gmail.com
Sat May 14 11:45:23 EDT 2016

I suffer from significantly diminished fine motor skills and
proprioception (the sense of the relative position of neighboring parts
of the body and strength of effort being employed in movement) of my
left hand, and am unable to install solder-on connectors.

In light of the fascinating discussion of connectors, I have the
following question regarding the installation of connectors on RG-8X,
RG-213, LMR-240, LMR-400 and "Buryflex" (DavisRF or DX Engineering)
cables. I'm not sure which ones I'll be using as I re-build my station
this summer.

Who are the recommended connector manufacturers of crimp-on connectors
for these different size cables, and what tools do I need to install
them. I've noted that ratcheted crimpers range from $15 to $400, and
that Times Microwave makes their own connectors and tools for their LMR
series cables.

While I acknowledge that there is often a direct correlation between
cost and quality, this is an instance where I need guidance.

Thanks & 73,
Eric W3DQ