[TowerTalk] PL259 Connectors, weatherproofing

Jon Pearl - W4ABC jonpearl at tampabay.rr.com
Mon May 16 00:04:21 EDT 2016

Hi Ralph,

I'm glad to hear that the tape worked well for you.  I've got several
rolls that I'm looking to try.

What kind of shape was it in when you cut it off of the connector?  Was
it still pliable?

Since we're on the subject, I cut open a 7 year old connection, today,
utilizing Scotch 2228 Rubber Mastic Tape.  I was pleasantly surprised.

Here are some photos: http://www.w4abc.com/Scotch2228.html

73,

Jon Pearl - W4ABC

www.w4abc.com

On 5/15/2016 9:58 PM, Ralph Parker wrote:
> I just took down a tower and antennas that had been in place for 13 years.
> The connectors had been sealed with "Magic Wrap", a self-vulcanizing rubber
> tape that is available in the plumbing section of DIY stores. No plastic
> tape was used over the MW. The tape was removed with a 'Stanley' type knife
> - a slice and peel operation. The connectors looked like new. No sign of
> water ingress whatsoever. Not the only way, I'm sure, but it sure worked
> for me.
>
> VE7XF

---