[TowerTalk] Strategy for Erecting Large Yagi

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Fri May 20 00:23:05 EDT 2016

Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 23:55:28 -0400
From: "Mike Ryan" <mryan001 at tampabay.rr.com>
To: <towertalk at contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Strategy for Erecting Large Yagi

Recognizing the weight and size ok...I agree the crane is the most efficient
and safest way to go for a multitude of reasons.  But I have no idea what a
square boom has to do with not using a PVRC mount.  I would think one would
merely attach the boom to the tilt plate with square clamps.  I use them on
my H-frame...got them at a trailer supply outlet. Am I missing something?  -
Mike

##  points well taken.   I drew it out on paper..and a  PVRC mount should  work.
It would have to be done carefully, since his tower is only 60 ft tall.  That plus
his new yagi weighs  220 lbs once completed.   You would not want to be adding
a  lot of els  all on one side..all at once.   The resulting offset weight  would make it
extremely difficult   to flip the boom 180 degs.... so the remainder of the els  could
be installed.     He would have to start on one extreme end, add a few els, stop, then
flip the boom 180 degs, then  add  some else at extreme other end of boom, then
flip back again.    Adding more and more inboard els  as he also keeps alternating.

##  Its  doable, but it would have to be carefully well thought out in advance.   The truss
would not be supporting the boom at all...during the process, but I don’t think that is
an issue.

##  the man lifts that grant mentioned  would also work, provided it was available.

Jim   VE7RF