[TowerTalk] Common Mode Choke

Don W7WLL w7wll at arrl.net
Sun May 22 20:42:13 EDT 2016

Considering wiring up the mobile after a few years and a few changes of vehicles.

I’ve a pile of single band antennas and used to use a 5 in mag mount. They performed well (all modified Hustlers – no rolling of the eyes please) but always fought RF problems, most solved, but not all with extensive grounding of everything (including wife and kids).

Now I have a roof rack but can’t find a clamp that will allow laying the whip over to enter the garage. That however is something I can eventually figure out (find).

My question after all the discussion on this site re baluns et al is if using a common mode choke with these whips is practical (or needed). Typically as I recollect they have fairly low impedance. Has anyone some experience with the use of a CMC and typical single band mobile whip antennas?

Don W7WLL