[TowerTalk] One of our own...

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Wed May 25 23:39:43 EDT 2016

Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 11:01:09 -0500
From: Courtney Judd <k4wi at k4wi.net>
To: K7LXC at aol.com
Cc: "Towertalk at contesting.com" <Towertalk at contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] One of our own...

hey Steve, yes, I did enjoy the article about verticals/beach, very
educational! BUT, in the same issue of QST another article "If you can
hang a full-size vertical loop, then hang a dipole" really made me roll
my eyes. While I have never done any modeling, 50 plus years of playing
with various antennas leaves me with the opposite conclusion.  A loop is
ALWAYS better than a dipole in my experience. I wanted to spend some
time on 160 some years back so I strung up a dipole at 110 ft with the
resonant point at 1840.00.... worked great.... all kinds of dx.... BUT
the 2:1 swr points were only 7.5 kz up and down... even with a tuner the
antenna preformed poorly beyond that.  It was just un-satisfactory so i
pulled it down and replaced it with the 160 antenna I still use today. A
full wave loop fed at a lower corner, top at the same 110 ft point. I
did have to tilt it 15 deg from the vertical to get it in the property
lines but it works like a bandit. It is quiet and broad banded: 2:1 is
1800 to 1890 and works well over the whole frequency! I would NEVER
replace it with a dipole. Well, thats my 2 cents and I am sticking to
it! lol, 73's Cort K4WI

##  15 khz  BW ?  What did u use, 40 ga wire ??    The old  f12  160m  rotary dipole,
which was  102 ft long... IE:  LESS than HALF  size,  was   18 khz wide...normal.

##  if u had used  10 or 8 ga wire,  your BW  would /shoulda been a lot wider, like
100+  KHZ.     What did u use for a balun, if any, on the dipole ?    IF  you only have
2  supports to hold up the  full sized  160m dipole, that’s a loooong span.   You would need
some  strong gauge copper weld or similar, or heavy gauge  cu wire, to  handle the sag.

## Either way,  your  BW  would be a lot more than 15 khz.   Perhaps  your swr  meter was
out to lunch on 160m  ?

Jim  VE7RF