[TowerTalk] Change in Frequency As Antenna Height Rises

Dan Maguire djm2150 at yahoo.com
Tue May 31 04:27:27 EDT 2016

Jim VE7RF wrote:
>>> There is NO way in hell that the 66 ft long dipole, made from 1 inch OD tubing, is gonna shift 210 khz upwards in freq, when the tubing dipole is elevated from 30 ft to 60 ft.

I sure don't see anything in the model that would tax the capabilities of NEC so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that.  However, in playing around a bit more I did stumble on something that may be of interest to those folks who still put at least a little faith in antenna modeling.

I started with model 340-48H.YW from the ARRL Antenna Book CD, a 3L 40m Yagi with a 48 ft boom, and used the Scale.exe DOS program to convert the elements to monotaper.  I also changed the units from inches to feet.  Here's the result:

http://s33.postimg.org/hhm5hxebj/resonate4.png

Then I calculated the frequency of resonance (jX=0 at feedpoint, not necessarily minimum SWR), first for the 3L Yagi and then just for the stand-alone driven element (a dipole of length ~64.8 ft and diameter ~1.5 inches), at heights above Average ground from 2.5 to 100 ft.

http://s33.postimg.org/4yn6idnsv/resonate5.png

Bob K6UJ wrote:
>>> With my 2EL Force 12 40M yagi, I followed Tom Schiller's guidelines and set it up initially at 15 feet above the ground. When I raised it up to 70 feet the resonance frequency increased by 20khz.

This is a 3L Yagi, not a 2L, but the model shows similar results.  From a height of 15 ft to 70 ft Fres changed from 7.244 to 7.255 MHz (+11 KHz).  Since a *Yagi* model seems to be in the same ballpark compared to actual measurements I don't see why a *Dipole* would be any different.

Dan, AC6LA