[TowerTalk] Cad Welding tips

Kevin kstover at ac0h.net
Wed Nov 2 21:03:39 EDT 2016

Exactly.

If your going to be inside six feet of these things when they fire you
not only need proper eye and hand protection you also need to consider
what you are wearing. I was an production and R+D welder for 15 years. I
HAVE BEEN ON FIRE, in spite of being dressed out in the appropriate
nomex welding togs and leathers. Before you check the results of your
work check yourself for slag or spatter that flew out of the mold.
Welding slag/spatter will burn through a tennis shoe or cotton/polyester
pants faster than you can say "Oh s**t that's hot".

We all wore metal deflectors on top of our leather steel toed boots, and
we still ended up replacing the leather laces on a regular basis. It
gets everywhere in a weld shop environment.

The day I was enfuego the slag (blown up weld) had miraculously gotten
past the nomex and knee length leather Lederhosen and burned the left
leg of my jeans off. I didn't know a thing about it until I saw my buddy
running at me with a fire extinguisher. I have an electronic welding
helmet and kept my helmet/head down most of the time. I was told the
flames from the jeans were climbing my leg while I was heads down
welding. I ended up with a first degree burn on my calf.

The weld blew up, flew over my head, bounced twice on my back and landed
and came rest on the front bottom seam of the jeans. The jeans burned
quickly and probably saved me from a much worse burn.