[TowerTalk] Stacked Four Squares

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 5 13:46:54 EDT 2016

On 11/5/16 10:34 AM, Peter Voelpel wrote:
> An 8ele circle can´t be better, there are only four active elements in use
> with it.

Not necessarily - you can use all 8 elements.  No, you can't do it with
a trivial hybrid phasing network with 2 inductors and 2 capacitors and
1/4 wave lines, but there are certainly ways to do it.

You might be able to do it with 2 conventional 4 square style networks,
and a single LC phasing network.

But I think that arranging two 4 squares broadside to the preferred
direction, and then feeding them in phase, would work quite well in the
0 and 180 directions.  If they're 1 WL apart, then the 90 and 270 would
work well.  If the centers were 1/2 WL (or 3/2 WL) apart then you'd need
a phase flip on one of the arrays (like a BIP/BOP switch) to get the 90
and 270 directions.

Yeah, there will be some element to element interactions between the
arrays, but still, it's intriguing.

The other potential strategy would be to arrange the two 4 squares along
that broadside line, and skew one of them 45 degrees.  That might give
you more flexibility in picking directions and nulls: if signals are
strong but you need a null in a particular direction, you select one of
the arrays, and point it for best results.

You could probably also figure out some sort of alternate phasing
network for the 4 square (there's several published) to set the pattern
to radiate off the "side" of the array as opposed to the corner.

--
Given the advantages of H pol, I think that an array of crossed inverted
V dipoles  might actually be the best way to do it a flexible scheme..