[TowerTalk] Duo band 20/15 meter beam

StellarCAT rxdesign at ssvecnet.com
Mon Nov 7 12:33:53 EST 2016

considering the alternative - relays and coils as you say which I'm not
against at all and am a bit surprised they're not used more ... I have a F12
Magnum 80 dipole with 3 relays and it use to cover the entire band with no
more than a 1.6:1 SWR ...

or a 2 element yagi where the FB is far more narrow

I'd take the dual DE.

but your point is well taken.

g.

[I say 'use to' re the 80 because in my new installation, new as of just
over 2 weeks ago, its become apparent the 20 elements that are 7' below the
T bars are screwing with the Q of the system and the curve is not as
broad... I modeled the effects of the 80 over the 20 .... and found there is
about a 3 db loss in FB on 20 due to the proximity of the T bars - but
didn't think I'd need to do the reverse - model the 20 against the 80 and
consider the effects of the front director which is almost directly below
the T bar at that end and only ~7' down and the reflector which is also
close to that T bar.  ... alas - hindsight is wonderful. Had I to do over
again I'd strip the T bars and make it 14' longer to get back the added BW
they, in free space, provide making the antenna 90' long instead of the
current 76']