[TowerTalk] [CQ-Contest] Varidesk-Standing desks

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Thu Oct 13 22:55:45 EDT 2016

Another fad.
Those are fine in a lab, or where you walk up and making entries, BUT
working from a "stationary" standing position can damage feet, knees,
hips and even your lower back. As a programmer, and then project manager
I often spent 8 to 10 hours a day operating computers.  I programmed on
one and ran a system from a dumb terminal on a second.  No way could I
do that now.  As a project manager, I traded as much as several hours a
day of computer time for telephone time and some programming time for
e-mail time.

8 to 10 hours standing on your feet at a work station?  No Way!
You need a good comfortable chair with good back support and every thing
adjustable, not just the height.

Sore butt? Maybe, but it was made to sit on. Feet are for walking or
running. As I said earlier, standing in one place for long periods can
do damage, often the damage can be long lasting, or even permanent.  One
leg longer than the other is quite common although the difference is
"usually" not great, but standing in one place will put a different load
on the hips causing one hip to be higher than the other leading to a
curve in the spine.  I have had a brace on my left leg for four years
making a noticeable and painful difference.

Machine tool operators such as a lathe or mill often have a fairly thick
floor mat to stand on for relief.

73

Roger (K8RI)