[TowerTalk] Varidesk-Standing desks

Gary Johnson gwj at wb9jps.com
Fri Oct 14 10:24:15 EDT 2016

 >Another fad.
 >Those are fine in a lab, or where you walk up and making entries, BUT
 >working from a "stationary" standing position can damage feet, knees,
 >hips and even your lower back.

NOT a fad. And you missed the point: This device, like other modern
height-adjustable desks, allows you to easily SWITCH between sitting and
standing. Ask any ergonomics consultant, ask any physical therapist, and
they will confirm that 1) sitting puts higher stress on the lumbar
region of your back than standing; 2) our skeleton and anti-gravity
musculature evolved in a way that is optimized for standing, not
sitting; 3) changing positions is always better than remaining eternally
in one position. The only thing better would be a desk that lets you
waltz around the room, or maybe we should just operate from our mobile
devices. The reason we end up sitting all the time is that we are lazy!
So lazy that many of us can't handle a decent hike at middle age. No
wonder everything hurts... Walking the halls at work, I saw at least
half the offices outfitted with electrically-actuated adjustable-height
desks, folks have learned how to use them, and they are popular.  That's
the result of an effective ergonomics program.

Gary NA6O