[TowerTalk] Guy Tensioning

StellarCAT rxdesign at ssvecnet.com
Mon Oct 24 06:54:06 EDT 2016

Wellllll Steve.... here’s my point ... so many many times on this group you get the response to a question: “what did your PE say about it”? Or the return comment will be “trust the manufacturer”! And, although I don’t believe a PE is needed for anything other than out of the ordinary designs and/or where required (here its not) and one can just use the manufacturers info to design by – I agree with these points wholeheartedly.

I have to believe NO PE would sign off on this – saying “its ok” ... nor would the manufacturer say “SET TENSION TO 10% max” if they didn’t mean it! THEIR ratings are based on these minimum settings.

SO I don’t know that one can be so precise following the ‘learned ones’ instructions on most things and say unscientifically “this one isn’t as important”...

I say this with all respect to you and others suggesting its not that important – but disagree in terms that, if you were on the opposite side, I know you’d agree because I’ve seen you admonish people for not following the manufacturers specs.

As for “no one uses them anymore” ... I don’t remember seeing any distinction on using LOOS gauges (models) – mostly just the name LOOS gauges. Besides the fact that the 2 I had tested the old (B) and the new (PT2) were within practical consideration the same and both woefully low compared to the PT.

Gary
K9RX

I’ll have a picture of the new tower/antennas on my QRZ page in the next day or so... I’ve got to get orders out to pay for all of this :>)