[TowerTalk] 6 mtr quad

Joe Giacobello, K2XX k2xx at swva.net
Thu Sep 1 12:21:51 EDT 2016

> Jim Thomson <mailto:jim.thom at telus.net>
> Thursday, September 01, 2016 10:09 AM
> Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2016 13:44:25 -0400
> From: "Joe Giacobello, K2XX" <k2xx at swva.net>
> To: sawyered at earthlink.net
> Cc: towertalk at contesting.com
> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 6 mtr quad
>

> I am currently using a two element duobander on 30 and 40M on a 20 foot
> boom. It's almost equivalent to a three element monoband Yagi but on a
> far shorter boom. Cubex's 26 foot spreaders have held up well at this
> windy QTH, although the combination of ice and wind can be destructive.
>
> 73, Joe
> K2XX
>

> ## 104 ft is nuts. A full sized 40m yagi element is typ 62-74 ft.
> Heck, a buddys
> m2 80m yagi uses 101 ft eles.......on 80m, shortened of course.
> The F12 340N uses 52-59 ft long eles, aprx 85% full size, and is only
> 10.3 sq ft,
> 135 lbs.
Well, hardly nuts.  First, It does work and it's been up about ten years
with relatively few problems.  Remember those spreaders taper down from
about a 1.5 inch diameter to around a quarter inch at the tips.   A
three element Yagi has three +/- 65 foot elements and around a 40 foot
boom.  That's not a trivial cross sectional area and a lot more weight.
I have turned the quad with either a Ham IV or a T2X. Heavy winds can
make turning difficult, but I suspect there's little difference with a
40M Yagi.  Flexing spreaders during high winds have not caused me any
problems.

Your poor experiences with quads may have been in the early days when
the quality and strength of the fiberglass was far poorer than that
available today.  I remember when I was first planning the 40M quad, I
spoke with W4QN, who was then the owner of Cubex.  His spiders (hubs)
had arms only about (IIRC) 8" long, which I considered much too little
support for the butt end of the spreaders.  He assured me that there
would be no problem, and he was right.  I had considered trussing the
quad a la Gem quad, but it hasn't been necessary.  Of course, you guys
up in the North Country have a different set of conditions to deal with,
which is the reason those Gem quads were so sturdily designed.  (I never
realized that the "porcupine" spreader mount was a problem with snow/ice
accumulation.)  OTOH, we do often get ice storms, wet snow and serious
winds here in the Blue Ridge.

I agree re the free standing tower, and I use LM-470s here.  When I
originally built the 40M quad, I had used #12 Teflon coated wire (not
cheap) too and with the same expectation regarding minimal ice/snow
buildup.  At that time my four element multibander was also up but with
bare wire.  There was little or no difference between the two antennas
re icing.

73, Joe
K2XX