[TowerTalk] DIN to coax connector?

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Thu Sep 1 23:23:51 EDT 2016

I used 7/16 DIN on all on my heliax (LDF4 & 5) runs and think they are
the best choice, particularly for 7/8 cable which can put a lot of
mechanical stress on a connector.  There is a huge difference in the
center pin structure in favor of DINs, plus low loss and super QRO power
handling.  My jumpers are Buryflex or LMR400 to DIN one end, N or PL the
other, depending on flex and WX exposure and antenna connector.  The
only connector problems so far have been with poorly installed Ns.  AVA
with the very thin shield copper is much harder than LDF5 to get the
shell on properly.  The AVA prep tool is pricey but very helpful and is
different than the LDF5 tool.  Then use the Andrew waterproofing kits,
another very proven technique to borrow from the cell industry, and a
bargain at about $10 for a 2 or 3 connector splice kit.

The Chinese DINs that I found on ebay seem ok, no problems so far. Find
those with gold plated pins.  There are also a lot cheap Andrew LDF5 NOS
connectors if you have a stash of it.

Grant KZ1W