[TowerTalk] Pulling long length of 7/8 hardline in conduit

Mike Smith VE9AA ve9aa at nbnet.nb.ca
Fri Sep 2 15:23:03 EDT 2016

Having been an apprentice electrician in a former life for a few yrs, and
having only a 160' run of 4" conduit with wires and hardline I can only
offer

some partial advice.  Take it as offered.

-Use more lube than you think you'll need. (lube it ever 30-40', not just
the nose of the pull)

-Tape everything really really really good.

-Leave a flap of tape so when you unwrap the hardline from the rope it'll be
easy (unless you plan on just cutting the hardline and rope)

-If you can, pull all the wires at the same time.

-Pull a pull string in with your hardline (instead of trying to put a mouse
or fish tape through next)

-Keep your hardline and 2nd pull string on spools if at all possible. (don't
ask)

-Put a 2nd conduit down for your other wires?

-If you can see both ends, you can yell to the guy driving the lawn tractor
(or otherwise controlling the pull) otherwise, handi-talki's are manadatory.
I've seen pulls go bad

and wires having to be replaced as something got tangled and wrecked (even
on a manual pull) so communication is key.

-When doing the pull it will be imperative to have someone feeding (pushing
almost) the hardline in so it doesn't get gouged, scraped or bent, while
someone else is pulling.

Likely you're looking at a lawn tractor or car or something doing the pull.

This sounds like a real doozy of a pull.  Reminds me of an electrical job we
did pulling 300+' of 3 x 0 cable, but we had a special electric motor with a
huge reel in the electrical room to do the pull.

GL !

YMMV,

I stand to be corrected.

Mike VE9AA