[TowerTalk] FW: UST Sheaves

Matt maflukey at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 23:45:31 EDT 2016

I have serviced the bearings in several of my crank-ups for the last 15
years by drilling a small hole in the side shield of the bearing just large
enough to allow insertion of a grease gun needle fitting - essentially a
hypodermic needle with a grease fitting on it.  I think they sell them at
auto parts stores to refill things like CV joint grease boots without having
to disassemble the joint.  Anyway, I just remove the pulley, pump the
bearing full of new grease till the old grease all squeezes out around the
perimeter of the side seals, clean up the mess, and reassemble the pulley.
In the case of older bearings that have become stiff, I flush them out
thoroughly in the parts washer first while working the races and they loosen
up pretty quick.  The side seals are not 100% effective which allows solvent
to get inside and thin the grease.  I also flush the bearings out in the
washer after drilling the needle hole to remove any metal shavings that may
fall to the inside of the seal.  Just be sure to pump the bearing full of
grease after washing with solvent.

Hope this info is useful and good luck.

Matt
KM5VI