[TowerTalk] Connector Tolerances and Quality

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Sep 6 12:04:56 EDT 2016

On Tue,9/6/2016 8:33 AM, Zivney, Terry wrote:
> To my dismay, I could not  get the two connectors to mate!

For nearly 20 years, I've been a member of the Audio Engineering Society
Standards Committee Working Groups on Interconnections, on EMC, and on
Microphones. Precise dimensions, and tolerances, are a critical part of
making connectors work or not, be reliable, or not.  Neutrik, based in
EU, and Switchcraft, based in the US, are the two major manufacturers of
pro audio connectors worldwide, and their products are of high quality.
Both have reported problems with knock-off and counterfeit connectors
that don't work because dimensions aren't right. Likewise, major
microphone companies like Shure and Sennheiser have reported
counterfeiting of their products.

I've seen exactly the issues discussed in this post -- threads too
short, so that the connector either does not mate or is difficult to mate.

The metals and insulating materials also matter. I bought a bunch of
miniature DIN connectors (no relationship to the coaxial connectors
being discussed here) that JA rig mfrs have long used for accessories.
The contacts wouldn't take solder and the dielectric melted when I tried
to solder them. When I contacted the vendor, RF Connection, to complain,
I was told, "hams are cheap."  Switchcraft sells this line of
connectors, and I believe they import them from EU. They cost a lot
more, but they solder well and the dielectric doesn't melt. :)

73, Jim K9YC