[TowerTalk] LMR600 male DIN

Steve Maki lists at oakcom.org
Wed Sep 7 18:54:30 EDT 2016

Connectors *can* be waterproof (those that have internal gaskets).
However experience tells us there is no guarantee that they are, and
that's the rub. So commercial practice is to always add additional
weatherproofing.

Every now and then a carrier will approve a non tape/butyl method such
as cold shrink or the latest variety of hard plastic clamshells, but the
experiment usually ends in failure. The holy grail is anything that
allows *easy* maintenance (easy being anything easier than cutting away
and re-applying a football sized mass of butyl and tape.

We were instrumental in getting double layer heatshrink approved by one
of the biggie carriers, but they later disapproved it because of
widespread jacket damage caused by too much heat. The average installer
is a little below average.

This same carrier still approves a layer of high stretch rubber or
silicone tape topped by vinyl tape. This is the method I prefer in
almost all cases. Very quick to remove, quick enough to apply, and very
effective.

-Steve K8LX