[TowerTalk] US Tower gearbox

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Thu Sep 8 11:00:01 EDT 2016

Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2016 09:36:04 -0500
From: Jeff Draughn <n0ost99 at gmail.com>
To: John Holmes <w9ily at comcast.net>
Cc: "towertalk at contesting.com" <towertalk at contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower gearbox

I assume you drain the oil out the bottom all I see is an Allen head screw
is that the drain?
Same on the top.. I assume again that is the fill.
Do you just fill to the top or is there a way to check the level? Tower is
UST HDX-555.
Thanks for any info
Jeff
N0OST

##  Whoa.   There are  THREE plugs, one on the bottom, one on the top, and one
on the side,  close to the top.  Remove the top and side plugs..and fill till the oil
comes out the side plug, then install  both side and top plugs.

##  Only time u fill  right to the extreme top is if tower is horizontal for long periods of times,
like being stored.   IF you only fill to side plug, and stored horizontal, the gears will be  sitting in
mid air.   IF filled to extreme top, then no air pockets, and all gears fully immersed in oil.
Of course, when taken outa  horizontal storage, top and then side plugs removed..and let excess oil
flow out the side plug.... then install  side and top plugs.

## Im pretty sure if swapping from dino oil to synthetic oil, there is a proper flushing liquid to be used,
after the dino oil is dumped out.   Flushing liquid is then dumped, let drain for a while, then new synthetic
used.

Jim   VE7RF