[TowerTalk] HF6V choke coil

Stephen Lee gwy4ever at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 19:31:39 EDT 2016

  Greetings to all,

For the Butternut HF coil, check DX Engineering's Butternut parts web
page.  There's a good picture of the coil.  On that picture I count 17
coil turns along the top.  I'm holding an older Butternut coil in my
hand here in the identical position and count 18 turns across the top of
this coil. On mine, there are no crimped on wire terminals. The coil
wire is simply stripped and looped at each end with both loops being
solder coated.

Holding the coil just like in the web picture and slipping a tape
measure vertically in amongst the coils I measure exactly 1-1/2 inches
across the outside to outside diameter of the coils. The coil wire
itself has a transparent red coating just as the picture indicates. The
overall diameter of the thinly insulated copper wire is 85 thousandths
of an inch and that includes the insulation.

Coil length is variable. According to the manual, one simply spreads it
apart to effect a very narrow window of bandwidth within the 75 to 80
meter band. That coil should only effect the 75/80 meter band so it is
possible to dial-in the antenna for use with the other bands. I've
operated my Butternut without the coil; simply avoid transmitting on
75/80 meters.

The Butternut HF series of verticals shipped with a piece of 75 ohm coax
to be used in series with the feedline. Was that included with your
Butternut vertical, and if so, could you send the end-to-end measurement
of that piece of coax please?
Enjoy!    Stephen Lee    N7RV