[TowerTalk] 4 square for 80

Steve London n2icarrl at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 10:15:49 EDT 2016

K9YC writes:

> I disagree with this advice, Tim. Such a choke is strongly inductive below about 30 MHz, so > its common mode Z will be cancelled, at least in part, by the capacitance of a feedline > shorter than a quarter wave. A multiturn choke wound on one or more #31 cores is > predominantly resistive, so performance is far less affected by the impedance of the common mode circuit.

Most of the comments on 4 squares have been qualitative, such as "my
4-square works fine with 1 twisted, semi-elevated, half-radial".
However, in K3LR's case, he has actual measurements of the performance
of his 4-squares, including F/B and F/S measurements. If there was a
problem with the W0IYH-style chokes, wouldn't it show up in his
measurements ? How much better would the performance be with a multiturn
choke ? Over real ground, in the presence of real, possibly interacting
structures within N wavelengths, isn't there a finite limit to the
performance, regardless of your choice of "excellent" vs. "superb"
common-mode chokes ?

73,
Steve, N2IC