[TowerTalk] 4 square for 80

ve4xt at mymts.net ve4xt at mymts.net
Mon Sep 26 08:19:05 EDT 2016

It can often be easy to forget that ultimately, the only arbiter of law that counts is the Supreme Court.

Jim's right: it's not clear at all what Part 97.313 really means. It provides no standard for measurement and no indication where the measurements should be taken. You can't really say "Well, it's obvious they mean at the transmitter."

Interestingly, here's the Canadian rule on the matter:

The holder of an Amateur Radio Operator Certificate with Advanced Qualification is limited to a maximum transmitting power of:

(a) where expressed as direct-current input power, 1,000 W to the anode or collector circuit of the transmitter stage that supplies radio frequency energy to the antenna; or
(b) where expressed as radio frequency output power measured across an impedance-matched load,
(i) 2,250 W peak envelope power for transmitters that produce any type of single sideband emission, or
(ii) 750 W carrier power for transmitters that produce any other type of emission.

Notice how it doesn't force you to choose one measurement scheme over another? So we in Canada could choose (b), measure at the feedpoint (across an impedance-matched load), and be within the rules if we pumped down the feedline however much power it took to get a 750-watt carrier or 2,250-watt PEP SSB to the feedpoint.

73, kelly, ve4xt

Sent from my iPad