[TowerTalk] Legal Power measurement Discussion

Bryan Fields Bryan at bryanfields.net
Mon Sep 26 10:40:07 EDT 2016

On 9/26/16 9:05 AM, Ed Sawyer wrote:
> Power is measured at the final of the
> radio or amplifier, whichever is last.  1500W max PEP from the transmitter
> is clearly in the rules - as its quite clear how the FCC states ERP for
> other services.

I think this is technically wrong.  They state it's PEP which is measured at
the antenna.

Definition of PEP from 97.3
(6) PEP (peak envelope power). The average power supplied to the antenna
transmission line by a transmitter during one RF cycle at the crest of the
modulation envelope taken under normal operating conditions.

If I have a 3db feedline loss, I can run 100W on 70cm in Florida, even though
I'm only allowed 50 watts PEP transmitter power.  This is due the FCC meaning
of PEP in the amateur service.

73's
--
Bryan Fields