[TowerTalk] Skimmer antenna suggestions

Rudy Bakalov r_bakalov at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 1 08:44:21 EDT 2017

My skimmer node VE3EID uses a full size 80m inv-V at 90' as its RX antenna. I have been wondering if this is the optimal antenna. Specifically, my thoughts are that on the low bands it's better to have a vertically polarized antenna, while the upper bands benefit from horizontal polarization.
Is there an easy to build isotropic RX antenna that can do both horizontal and vertical polarization? Are there any other options? I thought about two separate antennas- a vertical and a dipole- combined via a splitter, but am concerned about the same signal arriving at both antennas and the different phases of the same signal canceling each other or otherwise worsening the SNR of the combined signal.
Rudy N2WQ