[TowerTalk] Long Tangent U Bolts

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Tue Apr 11 11:37:44 EDT 2017

Bending threaded rod has risks - the Zn film will be damaged whether
plated or hot dip and the V threads then become a likely spot for
crevice corrosion.

Also, the minimum diameter of the threads is less than the stock
diameter so the "U-bolt" is weaker in the U than commercial u-bolts with
full diameter stock.  Whether that matters vs the normal threaded part
of the U-bolt depends on the stress distribution created by whatever is
being clamped.    In my  experience, "all-thread" from your local big
box may not even be grade 3 steel.

Far better I think to use SS or HDG graded bolts and saddles both sides,
back to back, or plain flat plates for square stock clamping.  Machining
split collars is another option and used by JKantennas for their 4" boom
large yagis.

While SS does look nice, HDG fasteners last a long time as others have
mentioned and doesn't gall.  HDG is generally preferred in commercial
tower construction.  An exception would be salt spray exposed locales
but then 316 stainless or better is needed.

Grant KZ1W