[TowerTalk] Fwd: Long Tangent U Bolts, SS watch out

Hans Hammarquist hanslg at aol.com
Wed Apr 12 00:21:49 EDT 2017

SS is not that of a "permanent" solution people want to believe. I have experience with SS on sailboats and at my swimming pool. SS can rapidly corrode with very little sign of trouble until it's to late, I have seen several SS parts break due to stress corrosion, something that appears as a hairline crack n the part. This happens if the surface of the SS part is not exposed to air, such as being covered with see weed. I have also seen an SS heat exchanger start leaking after being exposed to water containing chlorine. It took a few years for the heat exchanger to start leaking but SS was not a guarantee for a long service life.

If you use SS anywhere make sure it is clean and open to air. I don't know much about various classes of SS but am sure there are good and bad types.

73 de,

Hans - N2JFS