[TowerTalk] Wire antenna in trees? (Patrick Greenlee) (Kelly Taylor)

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Sun Aug 6 22:20:59 EDT 2017

re #3

I use a pull down line of parachute cord tied to the hoist line on the
pull side of the insulator so when something breaks - wire, coax, or
insulators I can retrieve the hoist line top end.  Or, make the hoist
line a loop with a short tail for the insulator, but that takes a bit
more of the larger, more expensive line and can be confusing to the
ground crew.

The CMI  pulleys are great, I use them for rigging stuff.  For wire
antennas, I use marine ball bearing blocks (single sheave pulleys) which
substantially reduce the friction and line wear (smooth, never jam, last
forever, and the line runs straight with their swivels). About $15, if
you shop around on the web for Lewmar, Harken, or Ronstan.   More
expensive at West Marine, in my experience.

Grant KZ1W