[TowerTalk] Tower Base rotated 5 to 10 degrees off correct bearings

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Wed Aug 9 09:35:12 EDT 2017

I would avoid any fix that puts a torque on the tower.  TIA-222-F sec
6.1.1.2 re tower twist - "No more than 0.5 deg in a 10' elevation change
and no more than 5 deg entire tower".  So your guy locations may violate
that rule.  IIRC, +/- one degree, maybe two is the standard for guy
anchor position accuracy.  IMO (not a PE) a stiff adapter frame mounted
at each level with guy attachments at the anchor 120 deg positions would
work as well as the guys directly to the legs.  After all, a rotating
tower has guys pulling at every possible angle with respect to the legs
rather than directly bisecting the leg angles.  By "stiff" I mean
something fabricated like 3x3x3/8 angle and hot dip galvanized since it
is PJ4.  This is where I'd get a PE design/analysis for a tower this
tall with a 24" face.  I'm not familiar with how the guy attachments
work on AB-105, but attaching at a cross bar is the standard for R65.
The fab, any welding, and HDG could happen in the USA.

Grant KZ1W