[TowerTalk] Broadbanding 80 meter dipole

Ed Sawyer sawyered at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 17 22:43:04 EDT 2017

I have a 3 sloper array off the tower to the SE, SW, NW.  They are half wave
– loaded sloping dipoles that are about 80 ft long with loading coils to get
½ wave performance on 80.  I just switch in and out about 2.5 ft of wire to
make them resonate on 3550 vs 3775.  Its slightly OCF on CW but works like a
champ.  Very simple.  About 150 khz bandwidth (2:1).

I also have a 2 el W8JK style wire beam on 80 to the NE.  There I have feed
extenders for 80CW vs SSB that I manually swap out.  I also use a remote
tuner at the connect point of the open wire lines feeding the array because
the antenna is very narrow banded (75khz 2:1).  That also works wonderfully.

Ed  N1UR