[TowerTalk] Coax Cable choices

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Fri Aug 18 19:38:12 EDT 2017

When I used just tape, I never had a problem. "Theoretically" I can see
it with a "single layer", but I always wound in one direction to the
end, then continued back to where I started, giving a crossing layer
with the adhesive filling any gaps.

Even a single layer of tightly wound tape with a 25% to 50% overlap
should seal that area with adhesive leaving the exterior edge the only
one not filled. There is no reason for that interior gap to not be
filled when the tape is wound tightly. The interior edge should be
visible as a change in the outer layer.

I'm not in a tropical area, but Michigan has a fair amount of rain with
temps ranging from sub zero to well above 90 in a typical year.  In
summer, ones side of a splice/connector with black tape can be too hot
to touch (> 150F) while the other side may be less than 80 or 90F.  The
hot temps aid the adhesive (on good tape) filling that edge gap.  With
some cheap tape, getting hot leaves the adhesive slippery like grease.

In over 55 years as a ham, I've never seen water migration as he
describes, except where the tape was not tightly wound with the proper
overlap..

73, Roger (K8RI)