[TowerTalk] Crappy LMR600

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Fri Aug 25 02:18:42 EDT 2017

Yes, overkill.  If your installation has water problems, then by all
means use the DB versions, but I've not heard of many who do.  With LMR
400 and 600, I have never had water ingress and no maintenance issues..
The only coax that has required maintenance was The UF versions of the
LMR cables and Belden 9913 that works like a hose. I never had problems
with pre 9913 Belden cables.
My yard doesn't have problems with stones in the dirt, so I use buryflex
which has a tough jacket but no gel fill. Otherwise I'd use DB cables if
I had stones in the dirt.  Main cables from rigs to towers here are run
in conduit.

Wet cable? Again, The only cables I've had a problem with were 9913 and
the UF versions of the LMR cables. I've had some of those cables in use
for over 20 years.

73, Roger (K8RI)