[TowerTalk] Crappy LMR600

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sat Aug 26 02:55:34 EDT 2017

Coax in water? My back yard!  Normally, from the spring thaw until early
to mid summer (varies) the water table is at, or just below the surface
so the BuryFlex to the AV640 is laying in water for 3 to 4 months ea
year. (Makes spring mowing a real PITA).  By Mid August the water table
is 5' down. This year I went to BuryFlex.   None of the runs are long
enough to justify the larger coax for HF.  75' rig to tower, 100' to
pigtails at the top of the tower. The array used 28' pigtails including
rotator loops. Now it's just short links.  Regular LMR600 works fine 160
- 10.

The only maintenance requiring trips up the tower was the 9913, broken
antennas due to Cormorants roosting on the antennas, and water getting
into the rotator bearings.

The only lightning damage was pre LMR cables (with one exception).
Belden 9913 was like a water hose after a direct hit removed all the
weatherproofing and silver plating from the connectors. It matters not
what you use for coax. Nothing gives 100% protection from direct
strikes. The installation here has taken 17 visually verified direct
strikes (according to neighbors) with no damage.

The exception was my fault for taking a short cut because the 144/440
antenna was side mounted at 50'.  I only had the jacket grounded at the
junction box at the base of the tower.  A nearby strike took out the PS
fuse to the 144/440 rig.

This area is WET! Basements here require weep tile and a sump. My sump
pump failed early this summer and within 12 hours we had a foot of water
in the basement. Cost 5 grand, took a week to get it cleaned up and
dried out (About half the basement is finished and carpeted.)  This past
winter there was enough snow cover that there was at most, one inch of
frost. Much of the time there was none. Both conditions leave the coax
in water. Most of the hams around here don't even bother with conduit,
DB, or even BuryFlex. They just stick plain old RG-8 of all types in the
ground and I've heard no complaints.

73, Roger (K8RI)