[TowerTalk] A dumb question

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 26 22:09:15 EDT 2017

On 8/26/17 6:51 PM, chuck.gooden wrote:

> When i installed the electical for my pool the city wanted the conduit down 18 inches and this is in northern Illinois.  If it was me I would put the coax in some pvc too.
> Chuck Gooden - K9LC

the electical code (which varies, check your local AHJ - authority
having jurisdiction) has a variety of depth requirements - I don't
recall one for frost line, but 18" is if it's in dirt, you can go
shallower if there is concrete over the top (e.g. it's under a sidewalk
or patio).

The origin of the requirement in the code is to prevent accidentally
digging into it, and I guess they figure if you're digging more than a
few inches, you'll have called to have your utilities located, etc.

One common strategy (not necessarily to code) for shallow burial is to
lay the wire or conduit in the shallow trench, and then lay concrete
tiles or a 2x4 or something over the top, then back fill.  At least your
shovel will hit something before chopping your wires off.