[TowerTalk] Direct Burial Of Coax (Was "A Dumb Question")

Tom Hellem tom.hellem at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 09:26:34 EDT 2017

Here are two methods that I have used with good success:

1. Run the coax in perforated PVC pipe like the type that is made for
septic systems.
    Place the perforations toward the bottom as you lay the pipe in the
trench. A layer of
    gravel under the pipe ensures good drainage.

2. Use regular PVC, no perforations, like Schedule 40 for drain, waste &
vent. Excavate
    the trench so that it has one or several low points along the run
(depending on the length
    of the run). Excavate a small pit at each low point and fill with
gravel. Place a tee pointing down       into the gravel at each low point.
Cover each tee with a piece of felt or landscape fabric before          you
backfill the trench. Water will never accumulate in the pipe.

Tom K0SN

​I'm going to be laying my coax soon to my tower in NC. I plan to NOT put
it in PVC conduit once it goes below ground. I've read that condensate in
pipe will eventually cause it to fill with water and direct burial is not
designed for total immersion. I plan to dig a shallow trench maybe 6-8"
down, put a thin layer of sand in the trench, tie wrap the coaxes to a 1x3
plastic trim board and place into trench with the board up. At that point,
I will cover with more sand and then finally soil. The board will protect
the coaxes.

Dick, K0CAT