[TowerTalk] Heliax acting strangely: Help?

StellarCAT rxdesign at ssvecnet.com
Sun Aug 27 10:04:01 EDT 2017

I had a somewhat similar scenario happen on my (somewhat) recently installed
tower. The rotary 80 dipole at the top would have a low SWR until it rained
when it would go up quite high. Within generally a couple days it was back
to normal. I checked everything associated with the antenna to no avail. I
did that because the installer had reassured me all coax connectors had been
properly sealed when he installed everything.

Months later we're installing a 6 meter yagi on the tower and the tower guy,
a different guy, goes to plug its coax in to the relay box ... he says
"they're all wrapped with the exception of one of them which is only 1/2
wrapped and partly exposed" .... yes - it was the 80. He wrapped it with
seal and although it took a couple weeks it eventually got to the point
where the SWR is constant - and low once again. So water was getting in to
the connector - over time it has dried out. If this were anything other than
80, possibly 40 I'd change out the coax - being 80 I don't think there was
any long term damage as it appears to have dried out through use. Of course
when it happened my first thought was connections - but I dismissed that
because of the installer ... turns out I shouldn't have. That is not to pass
blame as we can all make mistakes no matter how experienced we are - it is
however a lesson learned. One that I have 'learned' and relearned many times
in my 50 years as a ham ... never assume.

Gary
K9RX