[TowerTalk] BigIR question

W0MU Mike Fatchett w0mu at w0mu.com
Fri Dec 8 12:08:09 EST 2017

I am a mod on the SteppIR yahoo group and I have never heard of this
before.  We have many many BigIR users and if this was the case it would
be a big issue.  It does sound like there is a problem with this
particular setup.

Has SteppIR been contacted about it?  If not it is hard to fix problems
they don't know about.

W0MU

On 12/7/2017 10:42 AM, john at kk9a.com wrote:
> If that is really what is occuring and if Doug is only using 1500 watt CW
> there is a design flaw.  This can be easily remedied as you suggested and
> it would be worth trying, even if the SteppIR is not his primary antenna.
>
> John KK9A
>

> Sent via the Samsung Galaxy 7 edge, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone.
>
> On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 11:56 AM, Grant Saviers <grants2 at pacbell.net> wrote:
>
>> On 80 and 160 a matching ferrite transformer such as used in the CrankIR
>> is subject to heating with QRO rtty.  The solution is a larger core -
>> larger diameter core or a stack or lower power on these lower frequencies.
>>
>> Grant KZ1W
>>
>> On 12/7/2017 0:06 AM, turnbull wrote:
>>
>>> Starts at about 1.2 and heads for 2 to 1.   The BE is maybe 20 kHz.
>>>   This is a Hi Q device when using the loading coil.   73 Doug EI2CN
>>>

>>> Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
>>> -------- Original message --------From: Keith Dutson <
>>> kdutson at sbcglobal.net> Date: 07/12/2017  00:58  (GMT+00:00) To: 'Doug
>>> Turnbull' <turnbull at net1.ie>, john at kk9a.com, towertalk at contesting.com
>>> Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] BigIR question
>>> What is your SWR on 80?
>>>
>>> Keith NM5G

>>> 80/60M loading coil.    In contests, I am allowed to run 1500W - I find
>>> that
>>> on 80M the antenna does not stay in tune while transmitting for a while
>>> and
>>> assume this is to do with heating but am not sure.   Normally I would not
>>> operate with more than 500 W for a contest on 80M then there is no
>>> problem.
>>> On 40M to 10M there is no such problem.
>>>
>>>        This is not my prime antenna but is a useful fallback.   It is an
>>> excellent vertical.
>>>
>>>                      73 Doug EI2CN
>>>
>>> PS Only in contests are we allowed this higher power level.

>>> 54 MHZ. On frequencies from 21-54 MHz you can select a 3/4 wavelength