[TowerTalk] PST61 Rotor Reliability?

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Mon Dec 11 21:53:24 EST 2017

I really don't know how many times, or in how many different ways, I
have to explain this.  I thought I was just about as clear as I could
possibly be my last post.

Yes, your very last question is the case here.  The swirlers are like I
said last time ... mini-tornadoes maybe 80 to 150 feet across.  When one
of them hits the tower dead on, the wind pushes one end of the boom in
one direction, and the opposite side of the swirler pushes the other end
of the boom in the opposite compass direction ... but in the same
rotational direction.  The torques add.

All this discussion about torque compensators just adds to the
confusion, and they would just make it worse.  If you stop to think
about the force vectors involved, it doesn't even really matter whether
or not the antennas are torque balanced to begin with ... or which side
of the mast they are attached to.  That's all garbage for this
situation.  One antenna could even be mounted to the mast at the very
end of the boom and the net rotational force would still be the same as
if the antenna was perfectly balanced (in the case of swirling winds).
A simple drawing would illustrate that.  If the boom was 20 feet long,
for example, F x 20 feet is the same as 2F x 10 feet.  This isn't rocket
science.

It is however, as you say, a  real problem ... which is why I have
stripped gears on my PST-61D.  I've measured the wind speed in those
swirlers as high as 100 mph on a clear day in the spring when the
thermals are active,  and repeated swirling gusts in the 70's and 80's
are not at all unusual.  One a bad day they come through my lot in waves
of three, each about 3 minutes apart.  I'd say about a third of the days
during April and May see sporadic wind gusts greater than 60 MPH.

I've considered a PST-71D, but it's quite the monster and there's no
guarantee it will work either.  For the time being I have the mast
locked in a fixed position.

Dave   AB7E