[TowerTalk] Introduction

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Feb 3 13:02:50 EST 2017

Hi Paul,

Sounds like a wonderful QTH. Good that you've learned about HFTA. Also
read my applications notes about antennas, especially those talking
about horizontal vs vertical and height of both, and the one about
160M.   The modeling that produced these notes was based on "flatland,"
and HFTA modeling should dominate your thinking when it's not flatland.
But the lower you go in frequency, the greater the benefit of greater
height.  k9yc.com/publish.htm

1 dB max is a good rule of thumb about feedline loss. My 120 ft tower is
250 ft from my shack. The antennas on it are fed with 7/8-in hard line,
all of it used, that I've scrounged from various sources. To get HFTA,
you'll need to buy the ARRL Antenna Book. That's good -- it's an
excellent reference, and the CD also includes N6BV's TLW program, which
lets you calculate loss for most available feedline types for any length
and any frequency.

By the time you do everything necessary to build it safely --
foundation, rated hardware, the tower itself -- low loss feedline is a
fairly small part of the total cost. Also -- feedline loss increases
with frequency. My 160M antennas are also about 230 ft from the shack,
but I'm feeding them with a low loss RG8, and the loss is still only
about 0.5 dB.

73, Jim K9YC