[TowerTalk] Tower Foundation Pouring

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Sat Feb 4 11:49:27 EST 2017

As long as the thin top coat of concrete is cosmetic and not structural
you won't get in trouble but I recommend you put some steel in it if you
don't want to risk it breaking up later.  Fence material is good sub for
rebar in a deal like this.  The overlay will likely crack but the cracks
will  be controlled if you use the fence material.

Another problem is that when the overlay concrete cracks some water will
eventually get in and when it freezes...  Well you get the idea.

You might get better results if you drill a gazillion holes in your
current concrete and dowel the original slab to the new overlay with
rebar.  I'd form the rebar with a right angle and sized so that the
rebar bottoms out in the vertical drilled holes and then runs horizontal
with at least 2 inches of concrete above and below it. The horizontal
part of the right angle pieces needs to have a minimum length of 25
times the diameter of the rebar. Using epoxy in the drilled holes to
secure the rebar would be better than depending on some concrete to end
up in the holes. I wouldn't think the rebar would need to be larger than
#4 and smaller should be fine.  (In imperial measurement of rebar each #
is 1/8 inch so 3/8 inch nominal diameter is #3 and 1/2 inch is #4, etc.)

There are admixtures for adding to the mix before pouring to get better
adhesion and there are concrete glues intended to be "painted" onto the
substrate before pouring the top coat.

All of the above make for a better chance at survival but none
separately or in aggregate will  absolutely guarantee the topping
doesn't crack, have water infiltrate it, and suffer freezing damage. The
above will improve your odds of survival.

Patrick        NJ5G