[TowerTalk] Coax stripping tool for crimp connectors

Gary Johnson gwj at wb9jps.com
Sat Feb 4 18:16:43 EST 2017

> Does anyone offer a coax stripping tool to prepare Buryflex for PL-259 crimp
> connectors? The DX Engineering coaxial cable stripping tool does a nice job
> for solder connectors. Looking for something like that for crimp connectors.

As a total coincidence, I spent a couple hours yesterday looking into
this very subject. Looking VERY carefully at the recommended stripping
dimensions of two crimp-type PL-259 connectors (Amphenol 182130-10 and
RF Industries RFU507-SI), and similarly looking VERY carefully at the
dimensions of all the stripping tools I could find, none of the tools
matched the requirements. The error was always in the amount of exposed
dielectric: They never left enough, and came up short by 3 to 5 mm,
depending upon the connector/stripper combo. Whether that's a disaster
or not, I'll leave open to opinion. Maybe just jamming the whole
business together a few mm tighter before crimping is "good enough."

Required bare dielectric
182130-10   8.8 mm
RFU507-SI  6.8 mm

Stripper's dielectric:
RFA-4400-02  5.2 mm
DXE (Platinum Tools) 15035  4.0 mm
RFA-4087  4.0 mm
Terrawave HT-32253   4.0 mm
... and several others were also 4 mm.

  Note: N connector require totally different dimensions and in fact
there are strippers that match them perfectly.
Looking forward to either an announcement by DXE, or other options from
this group.

Gary NA6O