[TowerTalk] Introduction

Steve Maki lists at oakcom.org
Sat Feb 4 20:54:31 EST 2017

Gary-Joe,

I'd say 99.5% of the installed 50 ohm hardline base (by footage) is
copper. Commscope tried their darndest to introduce their smoothwall
hardline (both copper and aluminum) to the cellular industry, but it
never caught on. One reason was that when you cut away the jacket to
install a ground kit, smoothwall cable becomes very fragile - not so
with corrugated.

Commscope eventually gave up on that and purchased Andrew.

Of course smoothwall 75 ohm was always the standard in the cable TV
game, where they never needed to remove jacket except at the connectors.

-Steve K8LX