[TowerTalk] Attractive nuisance

Kelly Taylor ve4xt at mymts.net
Tue Feb 7 14:32:42 EST 2017

Surely there’s a threshold for anti-climb measures beyond which the kid is on his own.

For example, no anti-climb measures, you’re on the hook.

What amount of anti-climb measures is enough? What level of extraordinary effort to climb shifts the onus back on the plaintiff?

If the kid had to place a ladder next to the tower to get above a climb shield, is that enough to show the kid knew, or ought to have known, not to climb? If he needed to cut a padlock to get past a gate, does that make resulting injury his fault?

The problem with Tanglefoot is that you need the band to be a certain width relative to the creature you intend to control. For forest tent caterpillars, four inches is enough. For a four-foot child…

Would the deterrent needed for a tower be any different than for keeping a kid out of a swimming pool, for instance? (Here, you need a six-foot fence if you have a pool. Satisfying that is absolution.) Then again, we don’t have the same history of litigation the US does.

73, kelly, ve4xt,

ps: if you’re going to use Razor wire, attach it to the tower itself (just above the needed clearance for people walking past…)