[TowerTalk] Tribander on a TIC ring

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Mon Feb 13 23:21:02 EST 2017

The need for static weight balance of a boom always has seemed a bit
suspect to me if the boom to mast plate is well designed.  I removed the
weights inside some custom very large yagis (48' x 3" booms) when they
were installed on K0XG rings.  These rings have a V shaped mounting
system with about the same length as the 24" TIC length. The K0XG rings
are totally bearing constrained and will operate with reasonable unbalance.

My arguments against adding mass at the end of a boom:  1. makes the
antenna heavier,  2. increases the moment of rotational inertia, thus
increasing the load on the rotator, 3. increases the chance that the two
cantilevered boom sides have the same resonant frequency, 4. increases
the stress on the boom making it more susceptible to ice loading failure.

Leeson doesn't mention weighting for static balance (at least in the
index or IIRC) in Physical Design of Yagi Antennas and he does cover
boom designs for antennas with asymmetrical booms.

I'd like to hear why boom weights are a good idea,  except for when an
antenna is trammed up, then it is very helpful on single cable tram
carriages.  If there is enough headroom for two slings then that need
goes away.   A crane with two slings doesn't need a balanced boom.
Likewise if a boom lift is used.

For an A4S the center element is pretty close to center of the boom.
So I think the A4S will be off center mounted in the plate. I'd
recommend boom guys and if they are a bit unequal I don't think there is
much downside.  Having two A4S, I suggest you make some reinforcements
of the boom and element clamps.  See the thread
http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/Towertalk/2016-10/msg00064.html

Grant KZ1W