[TowerTalk] torque arms or not?

J. Hunt ki5dq at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 12 20:04:13 EST 2017

Hello Roger - thank you for your post.
I was planning the same approach.

The use of torque arms (bars) does reduce tower twist, but will not eliminate it.
Usage of a Star Guy assembly (which features 2 parallel cables per 120 degrees) provides extreme anti-twist and tower stability.

A torque arm and Star Guy assembly encircles the entire tower, which dissipates the stress in the same fashion.
With this in mind, stress on individual tower legs and the accompanying welds is greatly reduced.
Use of thimbles protect the guy cable within these devices.

... a little of me ...
I am also a certified tower technician, with welding endorsements.
I have 3 years of collegiate engineering physics, 2 years of structural architecture.
Electrical - yes, including grounding and terminations.

I am contracted out occasionally by 3 different companies, from new to repair.  As towers and related equipment age, finding a qualified welder (above grade level) is few and far between.

Respectively Submitted,
James
ki5dq