[TowerTalk] Strange behavior

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sun Jan 22 22:09:27 EST 2017

Look a Northern MI, MI, MN, and mountainous regions. In some areas the
declination is ridiculous. If you want the actual declination for an
area spend some money and get an aeronautical chart for the region
containing the specific location.  There are many, drastic, variations
locally from the norm for that area.

If you are in any of the Northern states, be it New England, Mi or
Montana, the declination changes, albeit slowly.
The declination here has gone from W to E, or the other way...I've
forgotten as I haven't flown in close to 10 years. The point is, in the
20 years I was an active pilot, the declination changed almost 10 degrees.
I've never noticed the skew others have mentioned, but I've never had
antennas with a narrow beam width on 160, 75, or 40 and rarely work gray
line on any band.

73, Roger (K8RI)