[TowerTalk] MFJ 998RT Hi-Power Remote Auto Antenna Tuner

Ed Sawyer sawyered at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 25 05:42:05 EST 2017

Is there an automatic tuner with an indoor power controller to supplement
what is in the actual remote box?  Would like to hear of that and what the
cost is.  I have essentially done what you are concerned about by being able
to cold start it by having a switched 12V supply.

Aggressively using it in the CQWW SSB contest last year, I only had to do a
cold start once in the contest that I can recall.  Not a deal breaker for
the money in my book.  But if there is a product as you describe - let us
know about it.

73

Ed  N1UR

W0VT said

"Woa!  I just think I found a deal breaker about this tuner.  It looks like
there is no inside controller for the RT version!  I think there is some
sort of control function at the remote tuner itself.  Some guys have
privately written me and said with the 998 non remote model you sometimes
have to tweak the setting to make the transmitter and or the amp "happy".
Since this thing has no indoor controller and just a power injector inside,
that would mean you are totally at the mercy of the tuners automatic
function unless you first manually adjust it outside and save to memory. But
on a new frequency the true setting would not be stored and I understand the
998 version infrequently comes up with a bad tuner solution.  Unless this
tuner would tune correctly 100% of the

time, I could not commit to buying one.   Too bad!  What a shame. I also

found out this thing is not 100% water tight and it is best to install it
inside a NEMA water proof enclosure.  I'm afraid this tuner has flaws I
can't live with.  I'll have to pass.  I was hot to buy one until I found
this stuff out about it.  Big deal breaker in my book."