[TowerTalk] 160m Slopers

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Jan 25 23:13:34 EST 2017

On Wed,1/25/2017 7:23 PM, john at kk9a.com wrote:
> This is a half sloper so the tower is a radiator.

Not necessarily -- it depends on how it is being fed. I have two wires
sloping off my 120 ft tower. They are insulated from the tower and fed
from the bottom against four radials elevated about 20 ft. I feed one or
the other, but not both. The tower, with a 3-el SteppIR and long 2M yagi
is long enough to act as a reflector, yielding about 6 dB of F/B.
Because the tower is part of the antenna, I have 8 quarter wave
on-ground radials on it.

This is, of course, not the only way to feed wires sloping off of a
tower, and some nice looking arrays are in the ARRL Handbook and/or
Antenna Book.

73, Jim K9YC